Sunday, August 23

Saturday is the Day We Get Ready for Sunday...

Saturday

Laundry...Koreans don't believe in dryers...

This probably just looks like a huge pile of junk. Well, that's what it is. Korean garbage and recycling is very particular, so this is actually my sorted trash. Now, I just need to find a store that sells the right trash bags...

My dinner last night: convenience store rice and a seaweed packet. And mint lime soda. Good news, though, I found a little alley market by church today that sells vegetables and fruit. And I think there's an actual grocery store close by, too. Tomorrow will have to be another shopping day. :)

Church!

This is an actual ward (not a branch), but there are only 25 members maybe. Today, there were maybe 10-15 adults and a handful of kids. Super small ward. There are 6 English-speaking missionaries, though: 4 elders and 2 sisters. So I was able to have most of the meetings translated.

The address is so clearly marked! But taxi drivers have no idea how to find a location based on the number and street name...so after 5 or 10 minutes in a stifling-hot taxi with a clueless Korean taxi driver, I got out and walked the rest of the way to church. I think, from now on, I'll be fine just walking the half hour to church each week...

The Gospel Principles classroom/Relief society

There was only one woman in relief society, besides the teacher and two sister missionaries. This woman came in, holding two live dragonflies. She was pinching their wings between her fingers. The only translation I could get from the missionaries was that the woman was "pairing them." So, I think she was trying to mate the poor dragonflies... Only in Korea...

I'm in the right place!

  
All the meetings seemed to finish quite early. I think relief society was done by 12:30. And then the ladies went and prepared lunch for the ward, which was rice (always), vegetable/mushroom salad of some kind, spicy vegetables, and grapes. It was delicious.

The street the church is on...

On my way home, I passed the Insung General Hospital. You can't really see, but there were just random patients loitering outside. And some patients hanging out near a restaurant/bar even further down the street. IV lines and all. Huh...

I live right by this hotel. Come visit me!! Or you can stay in my studio apartment. I might just make you sleep on the floor...you know, because I want to be a good hostess and give you the full Asian experience...

No comments:

Post a Comment