Friday, August 21

POE Orientation, Day 3, and Arrival in Chuncheon!

Hwanseongul Cave (the largest cave in Korea, located in Samcheok)

We took the monorail to the mouth of the cave...

Yay, selfie

As soon as you hit the mouth, there is a huge drop in temperature. It's like a refrigerator inside, so nice! 

It was impossible to get my camera to focus with the lighting in the cave. But this might give you an idea of some of the cool texture on the walls (it looks like you'd expect a cave to look). This picture was taken looking up at the ceiling, but it's hard to grasp the vastness with a picture.

Sorry, these pictures are so blurry. Maybe not worth posting. But I just want to share Hwanseongul with you! 

The cave had some entertaining names for different landmarks. After the Valley of Hell, there was the Pool of Hell. We walked on a rickety rope bridge, suspended so, so high above a chasm and then a pool of water. I suppose the name was appropriate.

Lunch and Meeting our Mentor Teachers

Psyche! My mentor teacher, SooJeong, sent another teacher to pick me up in her place because she doesn't own a car. The man she sent (a 3rd grade teacher from the school) was a super quiet/shy Korean man. It was apparent right off that he didn't know much English. But he was really sweet to try. My mentor teacher told me later that he was super stressed about coming to get me, that it was a "huge burden" for him to come because of his insecurities with his English proficiency. I nodded off a few times during our quiet 3-hour car ride back to Chuncheon, but SooJeong said that was probably preferable for him. Haha.

I was taken right to Jungang elementary school, where I met the vice principal, a really nice woman, and the principal, a man who doesn't seem to know as much English as I was hoping. My mentor teacher translated everything for me. But, as is the Korean way, the principal asked me my age, if I'm married, and if my parents are in good health. Haha.

Once introductions were completed, SooJeong and the 3rd grade teacher (I don't remember his name) drove me to my apartment. It's in a really cute building. I guess, cute for South Korea, maybe. I'm happy with it, at least, haha.
See: it's cute!


Welcome home!


We all have these lovely blue doors...


Kitchen...

...combined with living room and bedroom.

Views from my window...


...See next post for more apartment pictures. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment