Sunday, September 6

Chuncheon is Home

Here are some more random pictures of Chuncheon and of my students. Enjoy!


This picture was taken right across the street from my apartment building. I pass this old man every day. I think he might live in this little space between buildings (pictured below), or he at least works there. It's next to the Mini-Mart down the street. He goes through the garbage and recycling and collects boxes and collapses them. Or I've seen him crush soda cans with a mallet. I think he can sell the recycling. But it's what he does every single day. Kind of sad.


Chuncheon Station, where I grab the ITX to Seoul. It's a 10 minute walk from my apartment. I'm really in an awesome location.


Aww! These 5th grade girls come visit me in my classroom every day on their breaks, sometimes multiple times a day. They don't know a lot of English but will try to communicate with a lot of hand motions and charades. Also pictured is my co-teacher, Min (pronounced "meen").

Aw, this little guy is adorable. Such a sweetheart.

I love that this kid had to hold the paper with his chin so he could do his peace sign pose with both hands...

Ah, this face! You can't help but favorite the kids who are this cute!

And this kid likes poop and fighting. Awesome.


I went with some of the TaLK girls in Chuncheon one night this week and had Dakgalbi again. 

There are maybe 10 or 20 restaurants on Dakgalbi street, and all serve dakgalbi as their main dish.


They dump this big pile of raw cabbage, rice cakes, chicken, and sweet potatoes in the pot on our table and we wait for it to cook.

Finally it's ready to eat! The sour vinegar/radish soup just isn't a yummy or filling appetizer (it's the orange/pinkish soup you can see on the table).

Dakgalbi is yummy. But you still get a lot of fat and bones in some of your bites. I wish they prepped meat the same way we do at home. Oh, well. Do as the Koreans. (Side note: I'm an excellent chopstick user, now. Hm. *sniff sniff* And I'm humble.)

Mmm, the yummy spicy fried rice after you've stuffed your faces with enough of the dakgalbi.

Chuncheon, especially the Myeongdong neighborhood, which is 5 minutes from me, has excellent shopping. One of my favorite stores is Artbox. It has the most adorable stuff: 



Chuncheon is really feeling like home to me. In a weird way, haha. It's so different from Utah. So different. But when I spend the weekend in Seoul and travel other places, I get so excited to come back to Chuncheon. I like my little neighborhood, even if it is kind of sketch walking around by myself at night. I like my school and the relationships I'm building with the staff. Chuncheon is nice.

Before getting to work on my next post about my fun weekend in Seoul, I'll leave you with this nice picture of a pair of socks I bought at Daiso: 
Who can resist a farting penguin?? #MyFeetWillBeMoreStylishThanYours

No comments:

Post a Comment